Thursday 12 June 2014

EIGHT

EIGHTS   (“The Asserter” “The Chief”) – “Never go to bed mad – stay up all and fight!”
EIGHTS are motivated by the need to be self-reliant and strong and to avoid feeling weak or dependent
EIGHTS at their BEST are direct, authoritative, loyal, energetic, earthy, protective, self-confident.
EIGHTS at their WORST are controlling rebellious, insensitive, domineering, self-centered, skeptical, and aggressive.

HOW TO GET ALONG WITH ME:
Stand up for yourself . . . .and me; Be confident, strong, and direct; Don’t gossip about me or betray my trust; be vulnerable and share your feelings. See and acknowledge my tender, vulnerable side; give me space to be alone; acknowledge the contributions I make, but don’t flatter me; I often speak in an assertive way. Don’t automatically assume it’s a personal attack; When I scream, curse, an stomp around, try to remember that’s just the way I am.

RELATIONSHIPS:
EIGHTS at their BEST are loyal, caring, positive, playful, truthful, straightforward, committed, generous, and supportive. EIGHTS at their WORST are demanding, arrogant, combative, possessive, uncompromising, and quick to find fault.

WHAT I LIKE ABOUT BEING AN EIGHT:
• Being independent and self-reliant
• Being able to take charge and meet challenges head on
• Being courageous, straightforward, and honest
• Getting all the enjoyment I can out of life
• Supporting, empowering, and protecting those close to me
• Upholding just causes

WHAT’S HARD ABOUT BEING AN EIGHT:
(Women EIGHTS sometimes have a hard time in our society because their strength and boldness re considered “masculine” traits.)
• Overwhelming people with my bluntness, scaring them away when I don’t intend to
• Being restless and impatient with others’ incompetence
• Sticking my neck out for people and receiving no appreciation for it.
• Never forgetting injuries or injustices
• Putting too much pressure on myself
• Getting high blood pressure when people don’t obey the rules or when things don’t go right

PRACTICAL SUGGESTIONS FOR EIGHTS:
• Resist dismissing or invalidating the other’s experience or views
• Beware that when you are “direct” you may unintentionally intimidate others
• Express your appreciation out loud and often
• Avoid driving others as hard as you drive yourself
• Remember that sparring is stimulating to EIGHTS but not to most other types
• Learn to negotiate.
• Talk out your anger in therapy or discuss it with a supportive friend
• Surround yourself with people who respect your direct approach and are honest with you
• Make time for enjoyable creative or physical activities
• Find others to have fun with who accept and enjoy your outrageous nonconforming behavior

No comments:

Post a Comment

Work-Life- Balance